Friday, August 7, 2009

What Do I Use to Teach Reading?

As far as reading is concerned, the Bible as Reader (BAR) program is the one I use. It incorporates the Spalding method which you can find at www.spalding.org. The Spalding method might also seem a bit overwhelming since it is a method rather than a curriculum. It’s really not, though, and I would be happy to help you with that as well if you wish. There are lesson plans for the BAR method in the Noah Plan Lessons books as well as in Walking with Jesus, which is meant for a little bit older children. Using the Bible to learn how to read goes all the way back to the beginnings of modern literacy based in the Reformation when the purpose for teaching everyone to read was so that they could read the Bible. I find it to be an excellent method of instruction for my own children.

Since I have been doing this a number of years, I’m no longer using the lesson plans although I do sometimes refer to them for ideas from time to time. But the lesson plans mentored me and enabled me to fly a little bit more on my own so that I can tailor things to our boys a bit more. Over time I know you will find that to be true for you as well. I do refer to the subject guides, primarily using the scope and sequence to keep myself on track, but even that I use only as a guide.

No comments: