Thursday, August 6, 2009

Some of My Thoughts on Chapter One

I'm not going to address the reflections yet. (There's only been one response at this point) But I wanted to enter some of my personal thoughts on chapter one. The major purpose of this blog has been to mentor others, but it also serves as a sort of journal for me in this area of learning. So this entry is both a way to cement my own thoughts as well as sharing with you.

I am reminded of the purpose for this study in this chapter (from page 13), and I want to keep that before me as I study.

  1. I want to place this in the context of being a spiritual journey rather than an educational workshop.
  2. It will challenge my intellect.
  3. I still possess vain and deceptive philosophies, and I pray that God will root those out.
  4. This study (as always) sets me on a course of renewing and awakening my mind.
  5. It will elicit a commitment from me.
  6. It will establish a Christian philosophy of education within me.

Also, a key point to me was keeping the 4 steps (pp. 16-17) always in front of me. I can't be successful if I don't keep the order right of preparing my heart before I study God's Word, and before I am able to practice the principles of scholarship and character. Only then can I teach others. And teaching others is important--whether it's in a forum like this one or whether it's my own children. But I will not communicate anything I am not first practicing myself. I think that's the point of the Scripture shared by Carol and Elizabeth, "A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher." Luke 6:40.

This study benefits more than just those whose children are at home because we should all be learning all the time. Learning God's Truth draws us closer to Him, and that's what I want.

No comments: